Friday, April 9, 2010

Allergy Testing

Wednesday morning I took Luke in to the allergist to get tested because of his reaction to peanut butter. Luckily for the docs, he freezes in a doctor's office so he was actually quite well-behaved.
This is about five minutes after they started skin-testing.
This is fifteen minutes later. The red spot on the left is histamine (just a control to make sure his skin would react to an allergen.) The top red spot on the right is eggs, and the one below it is peanuts. They had to mark the borders of the biggest hive with pen, because there were so many tiny hives all around it it was hard to measure.
I have to take him in Monday to have blood drawn to double-check the skin testing results and see to what degree he's allergic to both substances. I'm curious to see what the egg test says, because the only time I've ever notice him have problems with eggs is if he's had they straight, like scrambled eggs or hard-boiled. His eyes get all red and itchy and a little swollen, but no trouble breathing or swelling like with peanuts. I feed him eggs all the time in other food, like bread, baked goods, etc, and I've never noticed it to be a problem. There seems to be evidence that a lot of kids outgrow egg allergies by age 5, so that may be the case.

With the peanuts, based on the size of the hive he is 100% for sure allergic to them and I have to carry and Epi-pen and Benadryl all the time. The good news is because he doesn't seem to have asthma, his chances of dying from a ingestion of peanuts is less than if he did have asthma. So, we've got that going for us! He tested negative for the other nuts (tree nuts) but they still say you should avoid them, because there is an increased risk of developing allergies to them in childhood.

Wish me luck on Monday. I've already checked his veins--he's got a few that should be pretty easy to hit, as long as he doesn't kick and scream too much. I don't mind pinning other kids down for shots or IVs, but it's not as fun when it's your own kid you have to hold down.

5 comments:

  1. poor guy! good thing he is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ashely, it makes me want to take my kids in now too and just see how bad it really is. Poor little guy. At least it isn't wheat or soy or something that is in absolutely EVERYTHING! Good luck on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck ashley! we found out in september that my son (almost 3 yrs now) is allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, & peanuts....We also carry epi-pens/benedryl... he does fine with eggs that have been baked into things but like your son can not tolerate them straight etc...I have heard that baking eggs at high temps and lots of processing destroys some of the protein that causes a reaction...we just reintroduced dairy about 3 weeks ago and he is doing totally fine so there is hope that they can outgrow some allergies...the peanut allergy most likely will be a lifetime allergy..We just discovered SUNBUTTER...it is a 100% peanut free butter made out of sunflower seeds that tastes just as good as PB, & has the good fats too. It is $6 a jar but worth it...We did the blood test to determine the degree to which he is allergic to everything and it was a huge help because it kind of gives you a scale of how sensitive they are to a given thing...Good luck!! I feel your pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Lukey he can come over and eat the rest of our Easter candy. He can give any that have been infected with peanuts to his cousins, but the jelly jeans, skittles, starburts, carmels, etc are all his! While he is over here, I am sure Karsten can invent him a hat that can detect peanut substances and let off a loud siren sound when he tries to make contact with it. He is currently working on a dirt sucker-upper-floating-moving-thing so I am sure he can fit Duker into his next project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor guy. I hope today went well too :-) Allergies are NO fun. He looks so stinkin' big. I need to come visit you guys. I only live 30 minutes away, but you'd think I moved out of state.

    ReplyDelete