Sunday, June 17, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things


Meet Lydia.  She's a funny girl.  Last week she and I went on a little shopping excursion and on the way home we were discussing her old clothes and how I saved some of her old dresses, "you know, in case we have a girl when we have another baby." (No, I am not pregnant.)

Lydia: (very serious tone of voice) "Mom, four kids is a lot of kids.  Do you really think you can take care of four kids?"

Me (laughing): "Yes, I'm pretty sure I can."

Lydia: (dubious tone of voice) "Well, that's a lot to handle.  You really think you can handle four kids?"

Me: "Yeah, I think I can do it."

I'm secretly thinking, what, does my five year old really think I'm so inept at parenting that I couldn't possibly raise another child? 

Look kid, just because the baby climbs into the bathtub with his clothes on...


And Luke always has a dirty face and picks his nose...


Or I accidentally run over your foot with the Costco shopping cart...
(I really did feel bad about it, I promise)


And I let you sit on each other's heads


Does not mean that I can't handle raising one more child.

Maybe she was doubtful because she was thinking about the family home evening a few weeks ago after a particularly stressful day which ended with all of us in tears (minus Tyler, he wasn't home) and me proclaiming "sometimes it's just hard to be a mom."

I digress. Back to the story.  So she asks again, "Are you really sure you can take care of four kids?"

Me: "Yes. But I might need some help you know."

Lydia: "I know.  That's what I'm worried about.  I'm not going to be able to play as much if I have to help and I don't like that, so I don't think we should have another baby."

And there you go. No more babies because it would mean less play time for Lydia.




Sometimes it IS hard to be a mom. But I eventually want one more set of feet to write on for a Father's Day picture.

Don't worry Lydia, I will make sure you still get time to play.

2 comments:

  1. This post is hilarious =) Sorry, Lydia, your mom is supermom and could handle 10-20 more kids. Bye bye play time! I can't imagine Tate ever quitting the nose picking. It's a serious addiction. Glad to hear we're not the only family with that going around. He sidled up to one of our scouts last week and was picking away to which the scout exclaimed loudly "Eeewww, gross!" as he moved away. Tate hardly noticed. Sad. Anyway, I digress. Love this post, but sorry about the bad FHE. At least your faithfully having FHE!

    ReplyDelete