Wednesday, March 4, 2009

This Week in Retrospect

This week has felt really busy to me, but now that I stop to think about what I accomplished it doesn't seem like much.  Really, what DID I do this week?

I think a lot of it was spent attempting to clean my house.  The good thing about our counter tops and kitchen flooring is that it hides dirt really well.  So well, in fact, that when I actually stop and look at it closely I see all the nastiness that has accumulated on those surfaces.  So, at least I got the floor mopped and the counter tops cleaned.  For some reason, they keep getting dirty again!  It can't be my kids, they are clearly very concerned about staying clean while they eat.  (This is Luke enjoying his first Biter Biscuit.)














Tuesday night I worked from 7p-1a, and it was pretty busy.  I came home from work discouraged because I felt like I had ignored one of my patients for a long time, and I could tell the family was frustrated at all the waiting they had to do.  I hate feeling like I've given sub-standard care--it really bothers me.  It's hard to balance all your patients when you have a very needy patient with needy family members also.  It can suck you in and it feels like it takes 30 minutes just to go in and give the patient some ice water. Often the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' and unfortunately some other patients get put on the back burner for a while.  For all of you who have had bad ER experiences, just know that the nurses are trying to take care of you the best they can!  I worked on Saturday and was able to balance my patient load much better, so I felt better about my nursing abilities after that!

Friday I did some yard work and then Tyler and some of his friends, Justin and Kari, went for a 20 mile bike ride while I watched the kiddos, five in all.  The kids were great and the riders had a good time.  We had some pizza and salad and just hung out for a while after that.  It was a very enjoyable Friday.  

Last night, Tyler and I went to a Portland Trailblazers game for our monthly date night.  It was fantastic!!  The energy in the building is amazing, especially since it was a close game at the end.
We met some friends from Salem, Brett and Julia, there (they actually got the tickets for us) and it was great to get to spend time with them as well.  Date nights are great!

Today we forgot about daylight savings time and woke up 15 minutes before church started. Needless to say, we got there late.  We then came home from church and had nap time, followed by a little interview with Lydia.  Two great quotes from this interview are: (pointing to Luke) 

"That my brother, his name is Cinco."   (This is also the name of her baby doll and I think the only number in Spanish that she can remember.)

When asked how old she is, she replied "I be two."  Yes, we are teaching her to speak Ebonics so that she can go visit Uncle Aaron in Detroit on his mission and fit in with the peeps on the street. Congrats to Aaron on his call--Detroit Michigan Spanish speaking!

Lydia during a tickle attack tonight

2 comments:

  1. yay for aaron. I would look like that too if I eat a biter biscuit, sugar packaged in cracker shape, pure yumminess.

    I love making comments on your blog it is way easier than ours or anyone elses. make mine like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis tweaked with our comment section so you were lucky enough to get the new and improved. I think! My hourly wage consists of whatever it costs you to play with my kids and feed them lunch while to attend the day spa. I have convinced my kids that bologna is a wonderful combination of ham and turkey so they are fairly cheap to feed. My skills and tools are limited and I am not very fast. I tend to make it up as I go, if I haven't done it before. So if your roof blows off just rub some dirt on it, walk it off and your house will be just fine. Still wanna hire me!

    ReplyDelete