Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reaching the Beach

We started bright and early at 6:30 AM (I was a little late though - sleep is just too precious sometimes) meeting at a gas station about a mile away from the starting line. We knew early on that it was going to be a b-e-a-utiful day, and it was. Fortunately, we got most of the hill climbing out of the way about 12 miles in, which is good because I'm not sure I could have climbed any hills by the end of the ride. The event organizers set up rest stops about every 12-15 miles stocked with everything a rider could want - water, gels, bananas, cookies, peanut butter?, and uh, pickles. 

Some pedaling and sweating ensued and eventually (after about six hours of riding time) I could smell the ocean air. It was an awesome sight coming around a bend and seeing Haystack Rock out in the distance. 

Once I crossed the finish line I searched out the family. We celebrated by going to McDonald's and ordering everything on the menu (almost). 

I completed my first century ride (100 miler), and I had a blast. I rode with a great group of guys and would do it again in a heartbeat ... or maybe in a couple months. 

7 comments:

  1. Now that I know there are snacks involved, I'll ride next year; provided the weather is perfect and they flatten out all the hills. Good job, bozo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!! It actually looks/sounds like a lot of fun! I love how McDonald's is the celebratory spot once you have kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Good job! I've been waiting to hear how it went. I hate to keep bringing up the pregnancy thing, but I had to wonder how many pregnant women ride it. That's the only reason why they'd include pickles, right?

    Is it an annual event? Sandra just informed me that Lori's doing one soon in Logan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey cuz - nice job! The beach would be an amazing place to finish! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awsome! Great job! Sorry we missed you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...did you win? Just kidding good job, you've inspired me to want to start working out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! That's seriously awesome. What's with the pickles though? There must be something in them you need?! I've got to tell Joel about this...he's been wanting to do the STP for years now...or at least he was going to do Bonney Lake to Silverlake...anyway. Good job!

    ReplyDelete