Saturday, October 3, 2009

My Project is Done! (almost)


For the last several weeks I've been working on a home improvement project. My sister-in-law Melissa gave me the idea to build a kitchen island/bar in our breakfast nook to give me more counter and cupboard space. I had fun figuring out how to do it and I learned a lot of what NOT to do on my next project. Here's what I started with and what I ended up with!


I bought a table off Craigslist for $30, took it apart, and sanded it down for the counter top, instead of paying $300 for a real butcher-block counter top.

I bought two separate base cabinets that were pretty inexpensive and scuff sanded them, then primed them with spray primer.
After screwing the cabinets together, I tried to get an idea of what the finished product would look like.
Painting the cabinets to match my kitchen cabinets. Lydia loved to "help" me. Notice the ketchup bottle--that was the "paint" she wanted to use. We settled on giving her a few paper plates and some blue glue stick to paint the plates with.
The lucky recipient of the new bar/island.
A few views of the finished product. I haven't added the hardware yet, and eventually it'll be repositioned a bit once we finish a few more home improvement projects and move some rooms around, but you get the general idea.

I still have to clean out the bottom of the cabinets (as well as the garage, tools, my house.....)


I'm happy it's done and Tyler is happy that the garage will be back to normal! I think it will work well for what we need. I just have to find bar stools now and it'll be ready to use! Lydia and Luke have already initiated it by spilling milk on the cabinets and smearing nectarine on the counter top. Nice!!!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah for Ashley!! That's awesome and I didn't know you were doing it. It looks great and who wouldn't love the counter space?! I can't wait to see it live =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, great work! now you know how to find the time, just give your kid ketchup and tell'em to help paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is amazing! you are inspiring... i might have rich take a look at this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you go, Miss Home Improvement! I am super impressed. You have given me inspiration. We have a few projects of our own that we are going to do; none as big as yours... just refinishing a few furniture items. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO impressed. I totally would not have that in me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it!!! Seriously impressive. I love the picture of you smiling with your creation at the end. Just look at what you're able to do and how amazing you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that is amazing. i always knew you could do great things :).

    ReplyDelete